Optimizing portfolio for independent professionals
Your portfolio is often the first point of contact for potential clients. A well–assembled portfolio is a crucial marketing tool for attracting new business. Give thought to
1. Differentiate Your Services & Specialities – Do not try to be all things to all clients. Confused buyers will move away quickly and not return. Articulate what is included and what is not. Never forget to add your credentials. Categorize separately, with a unique description, ensuring that content is well–written, short and concise. Be sure to include latest screenshots and links. Remove content that is not relevant.
2. Portfolio format which fits Audience needs – Your portfolio, should show your technical skills, that will make a difference to the client and the outcome.
3. Different versions of your Portfolio – Depending on the type of client or industry, you may want to highlight different things, especially if you plan to work in more than one industry or verticals.
4. Samples of each Service – This makes the transaction / decision easy.
5. Analytics – Most often, Google Analytics will be enough for this purpose.
6. Relevant & Shareable Content – This could be pdf files, infographics, blog links, etc.
7. Compelling Value – Clients want to see you as an expert. One way is to tell precisely, what you will get for them. Avoid exaggeration – I can help you achieve improvements in all areas of business. Avoid over–promising. Avoid jargons and clichés.
8. Video Testimonials – preferably from those outside the company.
9. Contact Details – These must be highlighted in a fool–proof way in a prominent location. It should include eMail id, phone number, FB and LinkedIn URLs, etc. Add a photo, as people like to see who they are dealing with. This will make them like and trust you more.
10. Strong Call to Action (CTA) – Without this, all efforts may be a waste.
11. Professional Domain Name – will go a long way in helping to remember you.
Conclusion – In freelancing, your portfolio is a critical Asset. You will get queries based on how and what was put into it. For getting top-notch clients, it’s worth investing thought, time and even money into doing it right.